Are you considering eyelid surgery in Baton Rouge? It’s important that you spend some time gathering the facts and set the stage for a successful treatment outcome. This article answers the most common blepharoplasty questions to bring you up to speed on what to expect from this cosmetic procedure.
What is double eyelid surgery?
Double eyelid surgery, sometimes referred to as Asian eyelid surgery, is a specialized procedure aimed at creating a distinct upper eyelid crease, particularly for individuals who lack this feature naturally. Beyond cosmetic enhancement, it can offer functional benefits by improving vision in cases of excess eyelid skin obstruction. The surgery involves the careful adjustment of underlying structures through incisions to achieve the desired crease, with recovery and aftercare resembling traditional eyelid surgery. Whether considering double eyelid surgery or other eyelid procedures, a consultation with an experienced plastic surgeon is essential to determine the best approach for your specific goals and needs.
Will eyelid surgery improve vision?
It’s natural to wonder if this procedure will have a positive impact on your vision. The good news is that for many individuals, eyelid surgery can indeed help improve their vision.
What you can expect
- Clearer Field of Vision – if you’ve been dealing with drooping or sagging eyelids, these issues likely affect your peripheral vision and make it challenging to see objects to the side. Eyelid surgery lifts and rejuvenates your upper eyelids to eliminate obstructions and create a more expansive field of vision.
- Enhanced Comfort – vision obstruction may cause eye strain and discomfort. Blepharoplasty addresses this concern to improve your vision and enhance your overall eye comfort.
- Aesthetic and Functional Benefits – blepharoplasty offers both aesthetic and functional improvements – ensuring that your eyes not only look refreshed but also function optimally.
How to qualify for eyelid surgery
You must undergo a thorough medical assessment to ensure your overall health and safety for the procedure, maintain realistic expectations, and potentially address vision obstruction if it’s medically necessary for insurance coverage. While there’s no specific age limit, most candidates are adults with facial maturity, and being a non-smoker is often a prerequisite due to its impact on healing. To determine your eligibility, the crucial first step is to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon or ophthalmologist who can evaluate your specific case and discuss your goals, providing personalized guidance based on your unique circumstances.
How much is eyelid surgery
One of the most pressing questions when considering eyelid surgery is the cost. You want to know how much you can expect to invest in this procedure and what factors influence the final price. The cost of your blepharoplasty in Baton Rouge will be influenced by:
- Surgeon’s Expertise – the experience and reputation of your chosen surgeon can significantly affect the cost. More experienced surgeons might charge higher fees.
- Location – the cost of living and demand for cosmetic procedures in Baton Rouge can influence prices. Cosmetic surgery centers in metropolitan areas may have higher fees compared to those in smaller towns.
- Type of Blepharoplasty – the complexity of your specific case and the type of eyelid surgery you require, such as upper eyelid or lower eyelid surgery, will impact the cost.
- Facility Fees – the facility where the surgery is performed may have its own fees, which can contribute to the overall cost.
- Anesthesia and Medications – Anesthesia and medications used during the procedure are additional expenses that you should consider.
- Pre- and Post-Operative Care – your preoperative consultations, post-operative follow-ups, and any necessary prescriptions or aftercare may add to the total cost.
During your initial consultation at Cusimano Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery, the surgeon’s office will provide an individualized cost estimate so you can make arrangements for financing. Many Baton Rouge patients find that they may need to pay anywhere between $3,000 and $8,000 for this procedure – depending on the specifics of their treatment.
Can eyelid surgery be covered by insurance?
One question that may arise is whether your health insurance will cover the cost of this procedure. The answer, however, is not always a straightforward “yes” or “no.”
Qualifications for Insurance Coverage
Insurance providers typically cover medical procedures that are deemed to be medically necessary. In the context of blepharoplasty, the key factor is whether the surgery is considered necessary to address a medical issue rather than a purely cosmetic concern.
Insurance may potentially cover eyelid surgery in the event of:
- Vision Obstruction – if sagging or excess eyelid skin is obstructing your vision and impeding your ability to perform daily tasks, blepharoplasty may be considered medically necessary. In such cases, insurance providers are more likely to provide coverage.
- Documentation – your Baton Rouge plastic surgeon and healthcare team must thoroughly document your condition and demonstrate how it impacts your vision and overall well-being. This documentation is critical when seeking insurance coverage.
Cosmetic vs. Medical Aspects
It’s important to note that eyelid surgery can have both cosmetic and medical aspects. While cosmetic enhancements can rejuvenate your appearance, it’s the medical necessity of the procedure that’s relevant to insurance coverage. Dr. Cusimano’s office should help you learn more about your eligibility for insurance coverage.